20070704

Obsession . . . You are my obsession.

I think that I am obsessed with Bertine Zetlitz. I hadn't really counted on someone sneaking in the back door and prying open the well guarded hatch that houses the Fierce Norwegian Ghetto Bitches' Underground Headquarters. But Bertine, she's got a big knife and she wants in. I usually don't argue with knives . . . or homemade guns for that matter.

In 1998 I reviewed her debut album "Morbid Late Night Show" for The San Diego Gay and Lesbian Times. I had a weekly column that lasted for a number of years. It continued when I moved to New York.

That is where I met Bertine. She performed one night at Barracuda in Chelsea.

The show was a brief three track set but she came across as very sweet. She shrieked when she saw my Norwegian copy of the album and asked where I got it. I was just in Norway seeing Bel Canto and had scooped Bertine's CD for the trip home. (It is important to buy music when you are traveling.)

I forgot about Bertine, but that album remained in my collection. Every so often I would pull it out and listen to "Snow on a Hot Day." Then with Zoe, the a cappella mini masterpiece "Little Rosie."

Recently, with the advent of Beached Kitties, I began thinking about all the fabulous Norwegian women I had come to know and love. Bertine kept pestering my mind. I went online and found that her career kept growing, just not in the U.S.

Typical.

I immediately ordered her second album "Beautiful So Far."

I called Andy.

Last weekend on a trip out to Sag Harbor we spent some time reacquainting with Mrs. Zetlitz.

(I would say Ms. if I was nasty.)

Let me tell you, it scared the living daylights out of me. "Morbid Late Night Show" is quite distinctly a thinly veiled crime blotter of murder, arson and general mayhem. I mean I like a little axe murderer in all my friends and loved ones but this is ridiculous.

We add Bertine Zetlitz to our family. We will cover all her albums with conversational reviews.

Because she says so and she has knives, needles and guns...



^^^ Seriously. Would you argue with that? ^^^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will bring my needle just in case.. <3